Strength & Conditioning Coach
City of Oxford Swimming Club
City of Oxford Swim Club is a progressive, dynamic club and is looking for a full time Strength & Conditioning Coach to join the current coaching team.
Job Title: City of Oxford Swimming Club Lead Strength and Conditioning Coach.
Salary Scale: £22,000 – £25,000 depending on experience.
Hours of Work: Such hours as necessary to carry out your duties. This is a full time post and will include working outside normal office hours at evenings, mornings and weekends and on Public Holidays.
Employer: City of Oxford Swimming Club
Location: The normal place of work is Leys Leisure Centre, Barton Leisure Centre & Oxford High School for Girls however you will be required to travel to and work at other venues and locations regularly to satisfy the requirements of the position.
Responsible to: Head Coach City of Oxford
Accountable to: City of Oxford Swimming Club
Contract: Fixed term contract until July 2020 with a trial probation period of 3 months.
This role is a key position within the City of Oxford Swimming Club with the clear aim of developing a progressive Strength & Conditioning programme from junior through to but mainly with the international athletes. The role will be responsible for the delivery and development of strength and conditioning services, and involve working closely with the Coaching team to create a high performance training environment.
The successful candidate will be required to design and deliver strength and conditioning programmes with the aim of improving the physical qualities required to enhance swim performance and reduce the likelihood of injury.
This role will require an active contribution to individual athlete planning processes and projects as directed by the City of Oxford Head Coach.
There will be opportunities to attend domestic and international competitions (eg end of cycle meets) and training camps.
The role may lead the successful candidate to work collaboratively with both Swim England (as part of their regional S&C network) and British Swimming’s World Class Swimming Programme. The role has a potential to grow and develop.
MAIN TASKS AND ACTIVITIES
Work with the Head Coach, the wider staff to improve performance through developing, implementing and evaluating strength and conditioning programmes that reflect scientific principles as they relate to adaptation, periodisation, peaking, tapering and injury rehabilitation
- Develop the strength and conditioning service through effective planning, programming, delivery and education
- Ensure that the delivery of the strength and conditioning service effectively meets its commitments to athletes, coaches and the wider programme strategy including appropriate training objectives.
- Work with coaches to deliver an interdisciplinary approach to performance development
- Where appropriate identify and facilitate appropriate communication methods, including workshops, to inform and educate athletes, coaches and parents in the effective use of strength and conditioning
- Where appropriate, attend, contribute to and provide regular reports at meetings associated with the programme
- Work within the rules of professional confidentiality, liaise with athletes, primary care managers, parents, coaches and other support staff as appropriate
The post holder shares with all colleagues the responsibility:
- for making suggestions to improve the working situation and contribute to positive employee relations within their area of work
- to cooperate with measures introduced to ensure there is equality of opportunity in employment and sports equity; and in addition for post holders with a management responsibility to encourage their staff to ensure that they comply with all aspects of the equal opportunities in employment and sports equity policies and practices.
- for ensuring that the working environment is free of sexual and racial harassment and intimidation and any other form of harassment constituting unacceptable behaviour which is personally offensive.
- to comply with all aspects of the Health and Safety Policy and Arrangements and, in addition, for post holders with a management responsibility to encourage their staff to ensure that they also comply with all aspects of these arrangements.
- to comply with all aspects of any codes of conduct
- to adhere to any professional codes of conduct appropriate to your profession or other codes of conduct that might be deemed applicable to sports science and sports medicine practitioners in general.
This job description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended as an outline indication of the areas of activity and will be amended in the light of the changing needs of the City of Oxford Swimming Club.
The person specification describes the knowledge, skills, aptitudes, experience and qualifications that the City of Oxford Swimming Club deems as necessary for successful performance in the job role.
PERSON SPECIFICATION – S&C COACH LEVEL 3
|COMPETENCY AREA||ESSENTIAL / DESIRABLE||ASSESSED BY|
|Degree level (or equivalent) in sports science or related area, specialising in physical preparation of elite athletes||Essential||Sight of certificates|
|Higher degree level (or equivalent) specialising in the physical preparation of elite athletes||Desirable||Sight of certificates|
|Experience in the provision of strength and conditioning service, including coaching to athletes and coaches to improve performance.||Essential||Application Interview|
|Experience of analysing the demands of a sport in relation to the performance outcomes and identify the strength and conditioning requirements. To develop, implement and evaluate strength and conditioning programmes for individual athletes within these sports||Essential||ApplicationInterview (problem solving task)|
|Experience of strategic planning including individual programming supported by specific diagnostics and monitoring which inform the coaching process||Essential||ApplicationInterview|
|Experience of working within a multi-disciplinary team in the delivery of strength and conditioning services||Desirable||ApplicationInterview|
|Knowledge and Skills|
|Understanding of the needs of athletes and coaches in a swimming environment||Essential||Interview (practical)|
|Anatomical knowledge and ability to apply this within a strength and conditioning environment||Essential||Interview|
|Excellent knowledge of and ability to teach barbell lifts, supplementary exercises and ground based drills including how to correct common faults with appropriate diagnostics and monitoring||Essential||Practical|
|Knowledge of the demands of swimming, how physical qualities underpin what it takes to win in swimming and the training and coaching methods used by their coaches||Desirable||ApplicationInterview|
|Knowledge and ability to construct strength and fitness based training schedules both gym and field based, with appropriate diagnostics and monitoring including of work conducted with athletes||Essential||Assessment/ Interview|
|Ability to modify strength and conditioning programmes according to the results of assessment data, in conjunction with coaches and other support staff||Essential||Interview|
|Ability to scientifically validate and interpret the methodology of test protocols and data and other scientific data||Essential||Interview|
|Ability to communicate complex data in terms that are easily understood by a wide range of audiences||Essential||Interview|
|Excellent coaching skills including the ability to adapt to the environment to motivate behavioral change and augment performance||Essential||Interview|
For this level of role, ideally the individual would have some experience in elite sport, although this does not preclude applicants without this from applying if they feel they have the necessary knowledge and skills. It is important that candidates both have an interest in sport and recognise the importance of promoting and supporting equality, safeguarding and anti-doping within sport.
There is a practical exercise and assessment process involved in the selection of this role. Further details will be provided to shortlisted candidates.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org